Saturday 17 October 2015

Black Roses - Sophie Lancaster - S.O.P.H.I.E

I sat here for a while thinking how I should start this off....

I've just finished watching Black Roses: The Killing of Sophie Lancaster

I'm a flood of emotions. Angry, Sad, Happy, Thoughtful, Thankful, Bewildered....

Since I was a young teen I've been different....I've always been a mixture of "things" never settling for one particular style or music, or food....It's who I am. I'm too curious, inquisitive, intrigued, interested in the world to just pick one style of anything.

When I was younger, as defiant as I was, that this is who I am. It was seen that, that made me a "faker" because I didn't conform to just one thing. Now I'm older that is seem to be the norm, though not everyone like the same things, its ok to like a lot of different things. How I wish this had always been the case.

I've always been true to who I am, what I feel like at that time in my life, and yes its changed slightly over the years, I wear more colour than I used to (Red and Black was all I ever wore for a lot of years) I still have that side of me, I still have days where I want to just wear 2 colours. As well as the days where I wear 5 colours.

I've known about Sophie Lancaster since the day it came out in the news, it boiled my blood then, and it still does now! We live in a world so amazing and full of so many amazing people, places, cultures, that I never understood what drives someone to do that to a person just because they look different to them.

Through my early teens and college years I had names thrown at me, rocks thrown at me, I had people push and pull at me all because I looked different.

They looked different to me, but I didn't go around pushing and pulling them, throwing rocks at them or calling them names! That's just not a nice thing to do!
Even at my ripe age of 27 I still come across people, older, younger, the same age, who still want to call me names for looking different.

I am defiant, stubborn, I am my fathers daughter. I will not let what anyone says or does to me affect who I am! I am me, pure and simple, always have been always will be.

I don't just have friends who are only into the same things as me, they are all different from each other and that, to me, is the best way to be. It opens everyone's eyes to the oh so many different things in this world!

If you don't know about S.O.P.H.I.E please go check it out and see the amazing work her mum has been doing.

S.O.P.H.I.E is the main reason I found Illamasqua Make Up they support the Sophie Lancaster Foundation and I love that!!

If I could say one thing to anyone struggling out there with the fact that someone is different from you, ask them, go with an open mind and an open heart and find out about what they like, its doesn't mean you then have to like it, just understand it. Hate is born out of ignorance.

To the people who have been affected by name calling, abuse for being different, don't let go of who you are. You are AWESOME!!!

My only hope is that no Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Cousin, Friend, has to lose another person from their life due to an attack from someone just for being different.

Remember, someone out there loves you.

Keep it Positive

Nessa
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment